1 walk as if unable to control one's movements; "The drunken man staggered into the room" [syn: reel, keel, lurch, swag, careen]
2 walk with great difficulty; "He staggered along in the heavy snow" [syn: flounder]
3 to arrange in a systematic order; "stagger the chairs in the lecture hall" [syn: distribute]
4 astound or overwhelm, as with shock; "She was staggered with bills after she tried to rebuild her house following the earthquake"
- Rhymes: -æɡə(r)
- An unsteady movement of the body in walking or standing, as if one were about to fall; a reeling motion; vertigo; -- often in the plural; as, the stagger of a drunken man.
- A disease of horses and other animals, attended by reeling, unsteady gait or sudden falling; as, parasitic staggers; apoplectic or sleepy staggers.
- Bewilderment; perplexity.
an unsteady movement of the body in walking or standing
- Finnish: hoipertelu
a disease of horses and other animals
- To move to one side and the other, as if about to fall, in standing or walking; not to stand or walk with steadiness; to sway; to reel or totter.
- To cease to stand firm; to begin to give way; to fail.
- To begin to doubt and waver in purposes; to become less confident or determined; to hesitate.
- To cause to reel or totter.
- To cause to doubt and waver; to make to hesitate; to make less steady or confident; to shock.
- To arrange (a series of parts) on each side of a median line alternately, as the spokes of a wheel or the rivets of a boiler seam.
- To walk in an awkward, drunken fashion
to move to one side and the other, as if about to fall, in standing or walking
to walk in an awkward, drunken fashion
affright, agitate, alarm, alternate, amaze, amble, amplitude, arrhythmia, astonish, astound, awe, awestrike, back and fill, barge, be drunk, be incredible, be intoxicated, be unbelievable, bedaze, bedazzle, bewilder, blunder, boggle, bowl along, bowl down, bowl over, brokenness, bundle, burden, camber, capriciousness, capsize, careen, career, choppiness, clump, come a cropper, confound, crack, crankle, curdle the blood, daze, dazzle, desultoriness, devastate, discombobulate, discompose, disconcert, disconnectedness, discontinuity, disquiet, disturb, dither, do, drag, droop, dumbfound, dumbfounder, ebb and flow, eccentricity, electrify, erraticness, fall, fall down, fall flat, fall headlong, fall over, fall prostrate, falter, fare, fibrillation, fill with doubt, fitfulness, fits and starts, flabbergast, flight path, floor, flounce, flounder, fluctuate, fluctuation, flummox, flurry, fluster, flutter, foot, footslog, fright, frighten, funk, fuss, gait, gallop, get, get a cropper, go, go through phases, halt, have two minds, hippety-hop, hitch, hobble, hop, horripilate, inconstancy, intermittence, irregularity, jar, jerkiness, jog, jolt, jump, knock over, labor, limp, list, lock step, lumber, lunge, lurch, make one tremble, mince, mincing steps, muddle through, nonplus, nonuniformity, oscillate, overcome, overpower, overwhelm, pace, paddle, paralyze, pass belief, pass out, patchiness, peg, pendulate, perplex, perturb, petrify, piaffe, piaffer, pitch, pitch and plunge, plod, plunge, pop, prance, puzzle, rack, raise apprehensions, rattle, rearrange, reel, ring the changes, rock, roll, roughness, ruffle, sashay, saunter, scare, scuff, scuffle, scuttle, see double, seesaw, seethe, shake, shake up, shamble, shatter, shift, shilly-shally, shock, shot, shuffle, sidle, single-foot, skin effect, skin friction, skip, slap, slink, slip, slither, slog, slouch, slowness, space out, spasticity, spook, sporadicity, sporadicness, spottiness, sprawl, spread-eagle, stab, stalk, stammer, stamp, startle, step, stir, stiver, stomp, straddle, straggle, stride, strike dead, strike dumb, strike with wonder, stroll, strolling gait, struggle, strut, stumble, stump, stun, stupefy, surprise, swagger, sway, swing, take a fall, take a flop, take a header, take a pratfall, take a spill, take aback, tax, teeter, teeter-totter, thrash about, tilt, tittup, toddle, topple, topple down, topple over, toss, toss and tumble, toss and turn, totter, traipse, tread, trip, trot, trouble, trudge, try, tumble, turn, turn turtle, uncertainty, unevenness, unman, unmethodicalness, unnerve, unpredictability, unsettle, unsteadiness, unstring, unsystematicness, upset, vacillate, variability, vary, velocity, volutation, waddle, walk, wallop, wallow, wamble, waver, wax and wane, weave, welter, whack, wheel, whiffle, whimsicality, whirl, wiggle, wobble, zag, zig, zigzag